30 June 2010
The National Parks and Wildlife Amendment Act 2010 was assented to on 15 June. The revised law will take effect in two stages. The first stage will commence on 2 July 2010 and the second stage will commence on 1 October 2010.
The provisions which will commence on 2 July 2010 include:
- changes to threatened species provisions;
- introduction of remediation directions for breaches of the NPW Act (except in relation to harm to Aboriginal objects and places);and
- changes to prosecution and evidentiary provisions and civil enforcement provisions.
The remaining provisions will commence on 1 October 2010 and these include:
- introduction of the new Aboriginal cultural heritage offences, penalties and permit system;
- introduction of remediation directions in relation to harm to Aboriginal objects and places; and
- provisions about the Aboriginal Heritage Information Management System.
The NSW Department of Environment Climate Change and Water (DECCW) will be holding a series of public information sessions during September 2010.
Further information can be obtained from here.